Mapquest, Google, etc. and GPS do not always bring you directly to the shelter. Use the Sheriff's Dept. address of 1425 S. Madison Avenue, Monroe.
Walton County Animal Control
1411 S. Madison Ave
Monroe, Ga. 30655
Office (770) 267-1322
Fax (770) 267-4033
We are located at 1411 S. Madison Avenue, Monroe, behind the Walton Co. Sheriff's Department. South Madison Avenue comes off Hwy. 11 approximately 1.5 miles south of downtown Monroe. From Hwy.11, turn onto S. Madison Avenue. We are the 4th drive on the right. Follow the blue signs. The animal control building is down the hill to the left just before the jail sally port.
Shelter Viewing Hours - The kennel is open to the public for general viewing of adoptable animals Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 4:45 pm and select Saturdays from 10 am to 1:45 pm (see below). Approved applicants of specific animals may view in the morning hours during the week by appointment. Adoptions and rescues may be picked up in the morning or afternoon, see office hours below.
Office Hours - the office is open to process adoptions and rescues Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5 pm (closed for lunch noon to 1 pm). Animals may be picked up in the mornings by appointment. The office is also open select Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm (see below). Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling. ADOPTIONS TAKE APPROXIMATELY 15 MINTUES TO COMPLETE SO PLEASE ARRIVE 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO CLOSING.
Rescue Pick-up Hours - animals may be picked up by licensed rescues anytime during our regular office hours. Animals can be viewed during the shelter viewing hours. Representatives of licensed rescue groups may also view the adoptable animals in the morning hours by appointment. Saturday pick-ups may also be possible by appointment. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
We are closed on Sundays, holidays, and select Saturdays of each month. Rescues and adoptions may be done by appointment on Saturdays in which the shelter is closed to the public. Please make arrangements by emailing email@example.com. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
Upcoming weekend hours and closures*:
- Saturday, August 9 - closed
- Saturday, August 16 - open 10-2
- Saturday, August 23- open 10-2
- Saturday, August 30 - closed
- Monday, September 1 - closed Labor Day
- Saturday, September 6 - open 10-2
- Saturday, September 13 - closed
- Saturday, September 20 - open 10-2
- Saturday, September 27 open 10-2
- Saturday, October 4 - closed
- Saturday, October 11 - open 10-2
- Saturday, October 18 - closed
- Saturday, October 25 - open 10-2
- Saturday, November 1 - closed
- Saturday, November 8 -open 10-2
- Saturday, November 15 - closed
- Saturday, November 22 - open 10-2
- Wednesday, November 26 - closed at noon
- Thursday, November 27- closed
- Friday, November 28 - closed
- Saturday, November 29 - closed
- Saturday, December 6 - open 10-2
- Saturday, December 13 - closed
- Saturday, December 20 - open 10-2
- Tuesday, December 23 - closed at noon
- Wednesday, December 24 - closed
- Thursday, December 25 - closed
- Saturday, December 27 - closed
*subject to change based upon staffing and budget
Why are we closed some Saturdays? In 2009 we wanted to add Saturday hours, and began doing so, but without any additional staff or funding. Four years later we are still opening as many Saturdays as possible, but to stay within budget, we have to close a few Saturdays out of the year. We hope to compensate for the closed Saturdays by our appointment system. Sorry for the inconvenience.