Mapquest, Google, etc. and GPS do not always bring you directly to the shelter. Use the Sheriff's Dept. address of 1425 S. Madison Avenue, Monroe.
Walton County Animal Control
1411 S. Madison Ave
Monroe, Ga. 30655
Office (770) 267-1322
Fax (770) 267-4033
We are located at 1411 S. Madison Avenue, Monroe, behind the Walton Co. Sheriff's Department. South Madison Avenue comes off Hwy. 11 approximately 1.5 miles south of downtown Monroe. From Hwy.11, turn onto S. Madison Avenue. We are the 4th drive on the right. Follow the blue signs. The animal control building is down the hill to the left just before the jail sally port.
Shelter Viewing Hours - The kennel is open to the public for general viewing of adoptable animals Monday through Friday from 2:00 pm to 4:45 pm and select Saturdays from 10 am to 1:45 pm (see below). Approved applicants of specific animals may view in the morning hours during the week by appointment. Adoptions and rescues may be picked up in the morning or afternoon, see office hours below.
Office Hours - the office is open to process adoptions and rescues Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5 pm (closed for lunch noon to 1 pm). Animals may be picked up in the mornings by appointment. The office is also open select Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm (see below). Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling. ADOPTIONS TAKE APPROXIMATELY 15 MINTUES TO COMPLETE SO PLEASE ARRIVE 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO CLOSING.
Rescue Pick-up Hours - animals may be picked up by licensed rescues anytime during our regular office hours. Animals can be viewed during the shelter viewing hours. Representatives of licensed rescue groups may also view the adoptable animals in the morning hours by appointment. Saturday pick-ups may also be possible by appointment. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling. Email email@example.com.
We are closed on Sundays, holidays, and select Saturdays of each month. Rescues and adoptions may be done by appointment on Saturdays in which the shelter is closed to the public. Please make arrangements by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Saturday hours are operated with minimal staff and telephones may not be answered; so please leave a message when calling.
Upcoming weekend hours and closures*:
- Satuday, June 15 - closed (sorry, no appointments)
- Saturday, June 22 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, June 29 - open 10 to 2
- Thursday, July 4 - closed holiday
- Saturday, July 6 - closed
- Saturday, July 13 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, July 20 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, July 27 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, August 3 - closed
- Saturday, August 10- open 10 to 2
- Saturday, August 17- open 10 to 2
- Saturday, August 24- open 10 to 2
- Saturday, August 31- closed
- Monday, September 2 - closed holiday
- Saturday, September 7 - closed
- Saturday, September 14 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, September 21 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, September 28 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, October 5 - closed
- Saturday, October 12 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, October 19 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, October 26 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, November 2 - closed
- Saturday, November 9 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, November 16 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, November 23 - open 10 to 2
- Wednesday, November 27 - close at noon
- Thursday, November 28 - closed holiday
- Friday, November 29 - closed holiday
- Saturday, November 30 - closed
- Saturday, December 7 - closed
- Saturday, December 14 - open 10 to 2
- Saturday, December 21 - closed
- Monday, December 23 - closed at noon
- Tuesday, December 24 - closed holiday
- Wednesday, December 25 - closed holiday
- Saturday, December 28 - closed
*subject to change based upon staffing and budget
Why are we closed some Saturdays? In 2009 we wanted to add Saturday hours, and began doing so, but without any additional staff or funding. Three years later we are still opening as many Saturdays as possible, but to stay within budget, we have to close a few Saturdays out of the year. We hope to compensate for the closed Saturdays by our appointment system. Sorry for the inconvenience.